The Union Européenne de Cyclisme (UEC) was founded in 1990 as the spirit of European unity was finally being realised. The founding objectives of the UEC included "renforcer l'amitié et la solidarité entre les fédérations membres" – to strengthen the friendship and the solidarity of member federations.
We issue this statement with those founding principles at the forefront of our mind.
- UEC is totally opposed to the aggression of the governments of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus. We offer our full support to the people of Ukraine, the Ukrainian Cycling Federation, President Andry Grivko, and the members of the Ukrainian Federation.
- 39 National Federations gathered in Odense (Denmark) for the annual UEC congress. During the weekend, wide ranging discussions on a variety of subjects, from a variety of points of view took place. These were debated by all of the delegates present, in an atmosphere of unity and total solidarity with the President of the Ukrainian Federation. This atmosphere is characteristic of the solidarity of our Confederation.
- One week after the annual UEC Congress, and after consideration of representations made and consultation with stakeholders the UEC Management Board met virtually to take stock of the situation. The outcome of this meeting, and in order to maintain serenity and security at all UEC events, members of the National Federations of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus shall not officiate at any event organised by the UEC, nor attend or take part in any meeting, committee, or forum of the UEC, until further notice.
- UEC totally supports all current sanctions imposed by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI).
- UEC totally supports the announcement of the International Olympic Committee President, Thomas Bach, titled "Give peace a chance" published on Friday 11 March 2022.
- UEC has initiated a fundraising campaign, “UEC Solidarity and Unity Aid for Ukrainian Cycling”, donating an initial € 100’000. The first tranche of financial aid has already been paid to the Ukrainian Cycling Federation to support riders currently living and training outside of Ukraine.
We encourage and ask all interested parties to join in these efforts to support our Ukrainian friends and colleagues.
Here is how to make a donation:
• account name: Union Européenne de Cyclisme
• account number: 0269-00920065.70D
• IBAN: CH110026926992006570D
• currency: Euro
• reference: UEC Solidarity & Unity Aid for Ukrainian Cycling
• BIC (SWIFT): UBSWCHZH80A